What's Your Hair Wishlist?
Insider Interview with Snappee Founder Keziah OkonkwoIt seems that the 21st century is truly the era of the entrepreneur. With more and more people delving into the DIY (do it yourself) spirit, inventing products, solving everyday issues, and taking the leap to start their own businesses, how does anyone keep up with what's new and great on the market? Subscription boxes have become very popular because they help answer that question. Monthly or quarterly subscription boxes feature new products to targeted audiences and help companies gain new customers. And who doesn't want to receive a monthly package of goodies suited to your personal interests? (Especially when it feels more like getting a surprise gift from your best friend).
It seems like you can find a subscription box for just about anything. Many celebrities even have their own subscriptions boxes, from fashionista, Nina Garcia to musician, Pharrell Williams and even Bill Nye the science guy! Snappee, Inc. recently had the opportunity to be featured in a new subscription box called Curl Kit. In this special interview with Keziah Okonkwo, founder of Snappee, the Snap Off Hair Tie, we had some fun getting to know more about what products she's excited to give a try from her Curl Kit package and more.
1. Curl Box which is another great one for natural hair. I'm always interested in new curly hair accessories and keeping up with new hair tie trends.
2. Vegan Cuts Beauty Box seems interesting because I have sensitive skin and they offer eco-friendly, natural, clearly vegan, products. And they also have a snack box that sounds yummy!
3. Birch Box is probably the most common subscription box I hear about and I admit, I'm curious. They have all kinds of subscription options available for men and women.
4. Test Tube even though that is a interesting name for a subscription box (laughing)! It makes sense for what they offer because they give you the option of sample or full size products to try. Pretty cool.
A. 1. Deva Curl sample kit. All my friends with afros use this, I want to try it! Some one send me some!
2. LUV Naturals products from the YouTuber Kim Love. I've watched all Kim Love's videos and took a lot of product recommendations from her that I've been using for a few years. She now has her own product! This is at the top of my to try list!
3. Already made Flax Seed Gel. I’ve heard great things about this gel, the only problem.. where can I buy this already made? The people that recommend it make it themselves. I don't think I will be doing that.
4. A Deva Cut hair cut from the Curl Doctor Shai Amiel at the Los Angeles Capella Salon. Would love to get the official Deva Cut done for my hair. Say I did it and look good too!
5. Rhassoul Clay Mix. Definitely a try it before you buy it kind of thing for me. Clay on hair sounds messy, but if it produced the the results I've been hearing about, I'm all in!
A. Connecting with all types of people and getting my product out to the world. As an entrepreneur you have to learn and develop all types of skills, even the ones you are not good at. I have been able to connect with so many people with my product, whether it be moms, daughters, my curly hair sistas, dads, other entrepreneurs, you name it. Once I get time to talk about Snappee, I find that people love the product with out even having to sell it! And when you want to make a sale, you have to make that connection first. I really enjoy meeting new people, hearing what they're about and learning from them. It’s a really cool thing that we all do naturally, we want to help and connect with all people and I find this to be my favorite part of being an entrepreneur. Having something to share like Snappee that I can connect with all people in some kind of way.
A big thank you to Curl Kit for featuring Snappee in their subscription box. We look forward to hearing from the members of Curl Kit with product reviews and testimonials.
Learn to Love Your Hair February 26 2015
Learn to Love Your Hair
5 Simple Tips for Loving the Hair You Have
With Valentine's Day upon us, we thought it especially apropos to talk about
It's not always easy to love the hair atop our head. It can be especially difficult for those of you transitioning to your natural hair style for the first time. It can be very frustrating to feel as if you have no control over your locks, but a little love can go a long way. That's why we came up with this simple list of ways to practice loving our hair! But don't stop there, apply these tips and practice self love as well!
1. Be Gentle
Truly touch your hair with care and consideration. Try finger combing your hair in the shower in preparation for brushing/combing. Use gentle, non-damaging products such as the Snappee Hair Tie or silk wraps to treat your hair right.
2. Take Your Time
Take your time to detangle with care. We recommend a wide tooth comb and a Denman brush for getting the rest of the pesky knots out safely. When styling, be mindful of causing damage for the sake of saving time. What's the rush?
3. Give Yourself the Best
It may take a bit of time (and money) to test out hair products, but once you have found your regimen don't skimp. You and your hair deserve the very best and don't you forget it! Some of our favorites include Wen, Kinky Curly, and Shea Moisture (pictured left), Moroccan Oil (not pictured) and Snappee Hair Ties of course!
4. Stay Hydrated
Challenge yourself to drink more water every day. Use a moisturizing conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and a deep conditioner from time to time. Another tip is avoiding over-processing and handling your hair - try protective hair styles. At night, put your hair up in a pineapple or wrap your hair in a scarf.
5. Accept Your Quirks
This may be the most challenging and quite possibly the most important tip for loving your hair, and loving yourself! Sometimes it feels like our hair has a mind of it's own. Go with it! Our quirks are what make us unique. Love every aspect of who you are including the cowlicks, grey hairs, varying textures and all!
6. Join Curl College!
I've created a new online education for women who want to grow healthy natural hair the easy way!
In Curl College you will receive:
- The Perfect Wash Day Routine
- How To Get Long Healthy Looking Natural Hair
- How To Choose The Best Products For Your Hair Type
- How to Transition From Straight to Natural.
- The Ultimate Guide To Curl Definition
- The Perfect Night Time Routine
- The Secret Hair Growth Formula
- Tools & Cheat Sheets So You Always Know What To Do On Your Natural Hair Journey
And much much more because we’re constantly adding new courses to support you and give you what you need on your natural hair journey.
Through with the woes of thick hair? January 30 2015
This one goes out to all the thick girls!
(And we aren’t talking about your thunder thighs) We are talking about hair so thick you go through a bottle of conditioner every week!
So how do you know if you have the kind of thick hair we’re talking about?
When you literally get an upper body workout putting a hairband in your hair…
You know you thicky thicky thick girl!
When you have to use multiple hair ties to get your hair in a pony or bun…
Ya thicky thick!
When you resort to the infamous sloppy bun because you’ve lost all hope and know your hair will just fall into a slop-mop regardless of your valiant effort…
You know you thicky thicky thick girl!
When you have to part your hair into sections just to comb it…
Ya thicky thick!
So if you’re still reading this, you’re probably a thick (hair) girl like Snappee founder, Keziah Dhamma. Her thick hair woes is what inspired the creation of the Snappee, Snap Off Hair Tie. And thank goodness she invented these life savers! Now, those of us with thick hair are able to rock cute buns and ponytails without breaking a sweat trying to lock them in, and without them melting into sloppy buns! (Sorry, Snappee wasn’t able to resolve your need to part your hair into sections before combing!)
Keziah’s favorite way to use Snappees is by connecting two hair ties together to make an even stronger hair tie for her updos. She is also a big fan of the Kinky Curly product line, which helps keep her thick and curly hair moisturized.
Hair blogger and thick hair extraordinaire, Chime Edwards, has awesome things to say about Snappee and choosing tools and accessories for thick and natural hair. Her advice is to lose those Goody rubber bands for good and protect your locks with a Snappee! She also gives brilliant tips on how she keeps her luscious locks in great shape in her latest blog about hair regimens.
We asked our thick-hair friends about their favorite hair care products and all of them agree that an oil is poignant. Most absolutely love and recommend the Moroccan Oil hair care line, while others prefer Coconut or Argon Oil to keep their hair moisturized. Let us know what your favorite thick hair accessories and products are by tagging us on IG or tweeting @snappeeinc
Happy New Year from Snappee! January 15 2015
After over 100 years of rubber bands damaging the hair of women and men, far and wide, we thought it was time to revolutionize the hair game. With the Snap Off hair technology, Snappee™ is giving hair care an upgrade and moving us into the 21st century.
We have all experienced the traumatic snagging and breakage caused by those regular old elastic hair ties. Or worse, having to cut the hair your hair tie out because of how violently entangled the elastic band has got in your locks.
Enough is enough! Stop the damage, stop the trauma, and save your hair with the new hair trend: Snappee™, the Snap Off Hair Tie™.
Snappee™ is non-elastic, extra stretchy and extra soft to protect your hair from breakage. Wrap and snap your hair into any hair style of your choice or use like a traditional hair tie. The brilliance of the product is really seen when it’s time to remove your hair tie - just UNSNAP and watch as the hair tie unravels from your hair without pulling chunks of your precious locks out in the process.
As if saving your hair wasn’t enough, Snappee™ has quite a few more amazing features:
- Washer & Dryer friendly - hair tie stretched out? just toss it in your regular laundry routine and watch your hair ties snap back to their original size!
- Universal hair tie for EVERYONE - it works on all hair types from bone straight to thick hair to 4C curlies, it’s great for men and women, and to top it off, these little gadgets are hypoallergenic for anyone with sensitivity.
- Doubles as a fashionable accessory - no more stretched out, hair infested rubber bands around your wrist looking like a fur ball your cat coughed up… it’s not cute and you know it… Snappee™ is a cute bracelet and can be accessorized to match any outfit!
- Long lasting - they won’t be trash once they stretch out (see above washing and drying routine) and they don’t break if you pull too hard on them!
We at Snappee™ rang in the new year by celebrating the thousands of hair strands we saved in the last few months of 2014. Our new year’s resolution is to rescue a million hair strands in 2015! What’s your new year’s resolution? Consider joining the Snappee™ revolution!